Users who upgrade to a new macOS version face many glitches and bugs. One of their common complaints is about Apple Mail search not working. The problem can arise suddenly and may take you by surprise. But you can make your Apple Mail search work efficiently again with a few simple hacks. In this article, you’ll explore the different solutions for troubleshooting the Apple Mail search issue.
Troubleshoot Mail Search Not Working on mac Issue
This is a highly common issue and you don’t need to fee panicked when your Mail Search doesn’t work. Just follow these resolutions one by one.
Use Your Mac in Safe Mode
The first measure is to start your Mac in safe mode. Close the Mail application and use these steps.
- Now open it again. After that, log out of your account.
- Exit the mail application.
- Now restart your Mac.
- Enter into it through safe mode.
- To do so, switch off your system.
- Wait for a 10-second period.
- Restart your device.
- Press the Shift key. Simultaneously, hold it down when Mac is starting again.
- Release this key when you notice the login window.
- See if the search function works.
Use the Shift Key When Opening the Mail App
When you hold the Shift key while launching the Mail app, it forgets about the Windows that were active last time. This action will enable you to use the Apple search function like before.
- Exit the Apple Mail app.
- Now hit the Shift key and hold it down.
- You should open the Mail app once more.
- After 5 seconds, close Mail.
- Repeat the entire process again.
- Finally, restart your system and open the Mail app as you usually do. It would work.
Rebuild Every Mailbox
You can also rebuild your mailboxes when you find the MAC mail search not working. Open your Mac Mail app and use these pointers.
- Find the mailbox to rebuild.
- If you cannot find it, click ‘View’ followed by ‘Show.’
- After choosing your mailbox, head to the menu of ‘Mailbox.’
- Now, tap the ‘Rebuild’ button.
- Let your Mac rebuild all the mailboxes. You may need to hold back for a few hours.
- After the process ends, check if the search function is working.
Rebuild Spotlight and Mail Indexes
It is not a very common resolution, but it’s worth giving a try. If the above-mentioned resolutions have not made your Mac Mail search function work, you can attempt to rebuild the Mail and spotlight index.
- Firstly, exit the mail application.
- Now, head to the location as follows: `/Library/Mail/V8/MailData.’
- In this folder, you will notice the presence of three files. The file names begin with the term ‘Envelope.’You can now open the Mail app once more. It will make the deleted items again. It is because those items were corrupt, which prevented the search feature from functioning well.
- After the Mail app begins, head to the Apple menu.
- Now, go to ‘System Preferences.’
- Head to ‘Spotlight.’
- Once there, eliminate the check mark from the ‘Mail & Messages’ option.
- Now, exit ‘System Preferences.’
- Hold back for a few minutes. Now, navigate to the Spotlight settings.
- Once you are there, enable the ‘Mail and Messages’ option.
- Now, the search function will start working.
Install macOS Again
Sometimes, there’s a glitch in the operating system of your Mac device. In this case, the only option is to reinstall the operating system. Its also likely that the existing MacOS release did not install. You can reinstall the operating system with a few easy steps.
- Switch off the Mac.
- Hit the Power button and hold and press command and R keys.
- When the Apple logo comes up, release these two keys.
- Let the loading process finish.
- On the MacOS Utilities screen, choose ‘Reinstall MacOS.’
- Tap ‘Continue.’
- Go by the on-screen instructions to finish the reinstallation process.
When you find your Mail Search Not Working on macOS, don’t feel tense. The problem is quite common. But when you know these fixes, its easy to eliminate it. You can also seek the help of a certified email technical support expert if the problem persists.