Plastics have been used for various purposes, and these can be transformed into different types to make them more suitable. Polycarbonate is one such example. Polycarbonates are stiff and transparent thermoplastic that finds multiple applications. These are known for their durability and lightweight. Polycarbonates are easy to mould into the desired shape. It was discovered in 1898 by a German scientist called Alfred Einhorn.
Types of polycarbonates
There are different types of polycarbonates:
- Anti-Static Polycarbonate
- Bulletproof Polycarbonate
- Clear Polycarbonate
- Colored / Tinted Polycarbonate
- Mirrored Polycarbonate
Why are polycarbonate sheets so popular?
The question that pops up is why polycarbonate sheets are so popular. Polycarbonate has become the industry’s first preference because of some of the key benefits that it offers. It provides strength and flexibility, and both these features are highly valuable by the manufacturers. It makes it easy for the manufacturer to mould the polycarbonate sheets into the desired shape without losing their strength and design. Besides, it is believed that polycarbonate is 30 times stronger than acrylic and 200 times stronger than glass. Thus, it is a highly reliable material for manufacturing a wide array of products.
In addition, another contributing feature that makes polycarbonate a popular choice is that it is chemical and scratch-resistant. Hence the end product carved out of polycarbonate is also carrying the same feature. That makes it easier for the end-user to save the time that goes into the maintenance and upkeep of the product. Its chemical resistance feature also makes it useful for food and medical applications.
Insulation is yet another feature of polycarbonate. In fact, the installation property of polycarbonate sheet is better than glass, and hence it is used in building construction as it reduces the energy cost. Since polycarbonate or transparent, these reflect a similar property to that of glass and hence can be used for making glazing security lights or covering skylights.
Summing up the key features of polycarbonate sheets
Here are some of the keys defining features of polycarbonate sheet that make it a superior choice over glass or acrylic:
- Optical clarity- Coming to the most noticeable feature of polycarbonate is that it is very transparent and clear and sometimes can be mistaken for glass. It is because of this reason that in many places where a sturdier and strong option is required, people replace glass with polycarbonate.
- Insulation- The next feature that makes polycarbonate so popular is its insulating properties. It can trap up to 60% better than glass, and hence it is a popular choice when constructing an energy-efficient building.
- Easy to install– Since polycarbonate is flexible and has better durability, it is considered to be a good option. These are lighter in weight and hence are considered a good choice.
- Versatile – Its flexibility makes it a preferred choice. Polycarbonate can be easily moulded into rods, tubes, and panels.
- Easy to Shape – Choosing the right material for product manufacturing is important. Polycarbonate can be easily sliced or cut into the desired shape.
- Sustainable -You can easily melt the polycarbonate and melt it to mould it into a designed shape. This makes polycarbonate a universally popular material for the manufacturing process.
Use cases of polycarbonate
It is widely used in the following industries:
- Exhibits and displays
- Food processing
- Medical equipment
- Riot shields
- Sign faces
- Window glazing
Wrapping it up!!!
This was the basic information on the polycarbonate sheet. As technology continues to advance, we also find transformation in the manufacturing process. The continuous effort is to come up with an option that strengthens the entire process and ensures that the final product is long-lasting and durable. Polycarbonate sheets are highly durable and find multiple applicability owing to their multiple features. For more information available at the URL